Origins of the University of Lincoln

 

The institution traces its roots back to Hull in 1861 when the Hull School of Art opened. Endsleigh Training College opened on Inglemire Avenue in 1905 and the Central College of Commerce was founded six years later, moving ultimately to Cottingham Road in Hull where the University had its headquarters until 2001. 

Further educational developments in the early part of the twentieth century included the opening of the School of Fishermen and Hull Training College.

In 1935 the Hull School of Art was separated into three sections - one of which became the Hull School of Architecture.  

In 1976, all higher education provision in the city not provided by the University of Hull was consolidated to form Hull College of Higher Education.

At around the same time courses in fishing and food manufacturing were developed in Grimsby, and in 1983 these were absorbed by the newly formed Humberside College of Higher Education. 

Elsewhere in Lincolnshire, agricultural colleges were being developed in the 1940’s at Riseholme, the former residence of the Bishop of Lincoln, and at Caythorpe and Holbeach. These merged in 1980 to become the Lincolnshire College of Agriculture and Horticulture. 

The Lincolnshire School of Art and Design also opened at Greestone Building on Lindum Hill in Lincoln, built in 1893 originally as Lincoln Girls’ School. 

The Lincolnshire College of Art and Design and the College of Agriculture and Horticulture later became part of De Montfort University in Lincolnshire. 

 

1990s
 

In 1992 the University of Lincolnshire & Humberside was established in Hull. A year later, the project for a University for Lincolnshire began, setting itself a monumental target - to raise £32 million from public and private sources to pay for a new state-of-the-art campus in Lincoln. The City and County Councils made sizeable donations and businesses such as Lincolnshire Co-operative, Jackson Building Centres, GEC Alstom and the seed merchants Cargill also contributed funds.  

Their efforts paid off and in 1996 Her Majesty the Queen opened the first building on the Brayford Campus – the Main Academic Building now the Main Administrative Building - a concrete, glass and steel symbol of confidence that opened the door to further regeneration of the area.  

Becoming the University of Lincoln 

The University’s first Vice Chancellor, Professor David Chiddick, arrived in 2000 and set about reshaping the institution, relocating the headquarters from Hull to Lincoln and embarking on an ambitious project to position Lincoln as “a university of quality and distinction”.

 In 2001, after years of remodelling, the centre of the University moved away from Hull to Lincoln and was renamed the University of Lincoln. The Lincolnshire elements of De Montfort University were also incorporated to form the Cathedral and Riseholme Campuses. 

In 2009 Holbeach Campus opened and soon became recognised by the UK’s food industry as the National Centre for Food Manufacturing.


From strength to strength

Professor Mary Stuart’s arrival in late 2009 as Lincoln’s new Vice Chancellor marked a new phase in the University’s development, driving forward its reputation as an innovative and enterprising university. 

Identity

The University of Lincoln's official logo from 2001 to 2012 was the head of Minerva, the Ancient Roman goddess of wisdom and knowledge. In July 2012 the logo was changed to incorporate the university's coat of arms.

  

Hull Library

Lincoln School of Art 1958



Brayford Campus 2003  


Alumni Office

University of Lincoln, Brayford Pool,
Lincoln, LN6 7TS
Phone: +44 (0) 1522 835858
alumni@lincoln.ac.uk

Copyright 2010 University of Lincoln